Interesting point and counter point regarding the practice of giving closing gifts to your clients - or not. Personally, we are on the "do not" side of this particular fence. We don't think that those that give them are wrong to do so - we just choose not to.
One of the networking sites I belong to recently had a question posted regarding closing gifts. The person was trying to determine if a gift to his buying/selling client is appropriate and requested the opinion of others. He received a variety of responses from Yes, no, and it depends. (I have paraphrased some of the responses below).
YES: I give all of my clients a closing gift, it is part of my signature, I find it a way to connect with my clients, there is nothing wrong with showing appreciation for their business, it helps take a stressful situation to a happy situation, it brings a smile to my clients mouth and that is the best word of mouth adverstising you can get.
NO: No I am a professional and working with me is enough, does a doctor or surgeon give you a gift no and I believe an agent falls in the same category not appropriate, working with me to have a successful transaction is enough, helping them find the perfect home and working with them to have a flawless close is the perfect gift.
IT DEPENDS: It depends on the type of client - (buyers yes sellers no), not for short sales, depends on the size of transaction, it depends on what type of client it is (investor or primary resident).
I personally believe in closing gifts -- this is a very important moment in my clients lives regardless if they are a seller or buyer. As a gesture of appreciation to be part of this moment, and help them find that perfect home or to help them see their investment move to another family I find a small gift to be a nice surprise after such a significant event. If not for my clients and providing them with excellence from beginning to end I would not have the great opportunity to have this career and do what I love! Some of the gifts I have given in the past are...
- Local artwork signed by local artist
- Local photography book signed by photographer with a personalized note from me
- Customized towel set
- Bottle of Wine
- Dinner and/or theatre gift card
- Spa certificate
- Credit for a few hours of professional packing assistance
- Housekeeper for a day
- Sponsor a housewarming partyI am curious what your opinion is regarding closing gifts?
- Do you give closing gifts? If yes, what are some of the gift items you give?
- If you don't believe in closing gifts -- is there a professional reason why you see this practice to be unprofessional or unnecessary?
- If you are selective about who you provide gifts to -- who do you give closing gifts and who do you refrain from demonstrating this practice.Look forward to hearing from you regarding this topic. Thanks for you time and opinion.Julie KistlerKeller Williams Newport EstatesMobile: 949-887-6636Email: email@example.comTwitter: juliekistlerFacebook: Julie Kistler Keller Williams
If you are considering a Traditional or Short Sale of your home in Phoenix, Scottsdale or any location in Maricopa County Arizona, you owe it to yourself to talk with Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty to determine whether Tony and Suzanne Marriott are the best real estate Brokers in the Phoenix and Scottsdale metropolitan area to help you with the Successful Sale of your home.
Tony and Suzanne have personally Listed, Sold and Closed more than a hundred Short Sales with the highest list to close rate in the Phoenix Metro Area!
Tony Marriott - Chief Executive Officer - Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty
Suzanne Marriott - Chief Learning Officer - Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty